Monday, December 15, 2008

Quick Bite Recipe: Bread Salad

I never had bread salad before, until I ate at Wildflower Bread Company on McClintock and Guadalupe. I really loved it. Wildflower's bread salad is called Tomato Bread Salad ($5.29) and has bread, tomato, garlic, basil, parsley, red wine vinegar, red peppers, marinated mushrooms and olive oil, served atop field greens with grated Parmesan and Balsamic Vinaigrette. They also put a scoop with the sandwiches. That's where I first sampled it.

I inquired about what particular Wildflower bread variety is used, bought their Nine Grain loaf and set out to make my own batch at home. I've made it several times now for myself, Wednesday Night Dinners and other gatherings. The first time I made it, I added fresh mozzarella balls and dumped a container of marinated artichoke hearts/mushrooms all from the olive bar inside Safeway, which was recently listed as #2 Healthiest Grocery Store in the nation. I'm lucky to have one within walking distance from our house. As I don't get to Wildflower that often, I switch up the bread with whatever's on sale at either Safeway or the Marketside (also just a hop skip away). Tonight, I made a batch (with mainly organic or natural ingredients) for hubby & I.

Tools

Washed Hands
Peeler
Kitchen Sheers
Med-Large Salad Bowl

Ingredients (Just toss whatever you like right into your salad!)

1 slice of Organic Provolone Cheese (hand torn into bite sized pieces)
2 slices of Oven Roasted Deli Turkey (I use Hormel Natural Choice.)
1 slice of Light Whole Wheat Bread (hand torn into bite sized pieces)
1 handful of True North Pistachio Chips (crumbled up)
1/4 peeled red apple (sliced into 1/4 in. sticks with kitchen sheers)
4 Organic Whole Dried Montmorency Cherries (cut up with kitchen sheers)
5 capfuls of Organic Balsamic Vinaigrette
3 handfuls of Organic Herb Pre-washed Salad

Steps

1. Hand tear cheese/bread/ham and crumble pistachio chips into bite sized pieces, directly into salad bowl.

2. Peel apple. Slice apples, tomatoes & cranberries into bite sizes. (It doesn't have to be precise. I use kitchen sheers so that I can slice the tomatoes, apples & cranberries right into the bowl. )

3. Drizzle 2-3 capfuls of balsamic vinaigrette into the bowl. Mix 'til bread is thoroughly coated & has absorbed the vinaigrette.
4. Toss in the greens and mix well with the remaining vinaigrette.
I know this seems like a recipe soley for the spring and summer...but, I love the nuttiness, sweet & tart fresh taste of all the ingredients, which definitely gives that warm happy feeling on this cold Decemeber day.

No comments: